What is a flange? What does the flange do?
Now flanges are widely used in all walks of life. Even so, some people still don’t know much about flanges. In this article, we will talk about what flanges are. What does the flange do?
What is a flange?
A flange is a disc-shaped object with a large hole in the middle and a circle of small bolt holes around it. The large hole and the pipe are welded together. The small hole is mainly used for fastening bolts, and the flange is mainly used to connect the two Pipe fittings that connect pipes together. Let’s just say that the connecting parts that are bolted and closed at the perimeter of two planes are generally called “flanges”.
Flange connection refers to a detachable connection in which flanges, gaskets, and bolts are connected to each other as a set of combined sealing structures. It can firmly and seamlessly connect two pipes together. Add the gasket, and then fasten it with bolts. It should be noted that the thickness of the flanges under different pressures is different, and the bolts they use are also different. The advantage of using bolt fastening is that it can be easily disassembled when it needs to be repaired, so it is widely used in pipelines, and it is also used in mechanical equipment pressure vessels.
Flanges are used in pairs, wire flanges can be used for low-pressure pipelines, and welded flanges can be used for pressures above four kilograms. Flange connection methods can generally be divided into five types: Slip-On flanges, weld neck flanges, socket weld flanges, lap joint flanges, and threaded flanges.
The flange was not invented by the Chinese. It was invented in 1809 by an Englishman named Elkhart and later introduced to China in the early 20th century. The flange is mainly used in various pipeline connections and pressure equipment. superior.
The role of the flange
- The flange has the function of connecting two pipes so that the pipes can be extended all the time.
- The flange also acts as a seal, it seals the airtightness, and the pipes connected with it are not worried about leakage.
- The flange is convenient for construction, reducing the difficulty of construction, and only simple welding can be used to seal the connection.
- The welding of threaded flanges can also be omitted, and it can be installed only if the pipes have external threads.
- The blind flange in the flange can be used at the end of the pipeline to seal it.
The above is the detailed introduction to the flange and the function of the flange brought to you today, I hope it will be helpful for you to understand the flange!